If you have been a legal resident in Kenya for 7 years or longer, you may qualify to apply for Kenyan Citizenship by residence as outlined in Section 13 of the Kenya Citizenship & Immigration Act 2011, which reads:
“13. (1) A person who has attained the age of majority and capacity who has been lawfully resident in Kenya for a continuous period of at least seven years may on application be registered as a citizen”.
You may qualify for Kenyan citizenship by residence if the applicant -
- Has been ordinarily resident in Kenya for a period of seven years, immediately preceding the date of application;
- Has been a resident under the authority of a valid permit.
- Has resided in Kenya throughout the period of twelve months immediately preceding the date of the application;=
- Has an adequate knowledge of Kenya and of the duties and rights of citizens as contained in the law.
- Is able to understand and speak Kiswahili or a local dialect;
- Has not been convicted of an offence and sentenced to imprisonment for a term of three years or longer;
- Satisfies the Authorities that he or she intends to reside in Kenya after registration as a citizen.
- Has been determined and through justification made, in writing, that the applicant has made or is capable of making a substantive contribution to the progress and advancement in any area of national development within Kenya.
- Is not an adjudged bankrupt
Requirements for application for citizenship by Lawful residence in Kenya
To make an application for Citizenship by residence in Kenya, you shall require the following.
- Executed application form.
- Copy of Permit held for 7 years.
- Certificate of good conduct.
- A cover letter of proof of contributions made to the national interest.
- Passport photos of the applicant.
- Bank Statement.
- Declaration concerning residence in Kenya.
- Copy of applicants Passport.
- Oath of allegiance.
- • Applicants must ensure that they are lawfully present in the country as they wait for application to be finalized.
The application Citizenship is a strict process and qualified applicants are screened and processed by the immigration department. We at Biz Brokers Kenya ensure your application meets the sets standards and is likely to be approved and successful.
Immigration compliance is our specialty, Business startup is our passion. We are in the Business of Business.