The Kenya Companies Beneficial Ownership Information Regulations, 2020 requires all companies to disclose details of all the shareholders for the register held at the Companies Registry.
The Companies Act defines a beneficial owner as “the natural person who ultimately owns or controls a legal person or arrangements or a natural person on whose behalf transactions are conducted, and include persons who exercise ultimate effective control over a legal person or arrangement.”
Who is a Beneficial owner of a company
A beneficial owner is a natural person who directly or indirectly:
- Holds at least ten percent (10%) of the issued shares of the company.
- Exercises at least ten percent (10%) of the voting rights in the company.
- holds the right to appoint or remove a director of a company.
- Exercises significant influence or control over a company.
Significant influence or control under the regulations means participation in the finances or financial policies of the company.
Information of Beneficial Owner .
Every company shall keep a register of its members which shall include information relating to beneficial owners of the company. The register of members should contain the following information:
- The names and addresses of the members.
- The National ID Card Number or Passport Number.
- The KRA PIN.
- Nationality and Date of Birth.
- Contact information including Postal Address, Residential Address, Current Phone Number, Current Email Address.
- Nature of Ownership or Control, and any other information the Registrar may require from time to time).
- The date on which each person was registered as a member and any beneficial owners, if any.
- The date on which any person ceased to be a member.
A company shall lodge with the Registrar, a copy of its register of members including information relating to beneficial owners, if any, within thirty days after completing its preparation and A company other than a public liability company shall lodge with the Registrar a copy of any amendment to its register of members within fourteen days after making the amendment.
Looking forward to being of service to you. Contact us for further information and assistance.
Business compliance is our specialty, Business startup is our passion. We are in the Business of Business.
Update your company beneficial ownership information in Kenya.